1955 Chevrolet First Series 5-Window Deluxe Cab 3100 Pickup Truck
This is a highly optioned 1955 Chevrolet First Series (Advance Design) 5-window Deluxe Cab 3100 pickup truck. The Advance Design pickup was produced from 1947 until 1955. Chevrolet was late bringing the 1955 Task Force Design to market, so the 1955 First Series was produced until March 25th 1955. No records were kept by Chevrolet of how many 1955 First Series were produced. Basically, it was the same truck as 1954, except the chrome grille became standard, there were some minor changes to the hood emblems and a modern open driveshaft replaced the old enclosed torque tube.
This truck was built in Atlanta, GA and has its original Thriftmaster 235 cubic inch, 105 horsepower, straight six-cylinder engine as well as the optional 4-speed manual floor shift transmission with an ultra-low 1st gear. The 1st gear was intended for driving around the farm and is often not used during normal street operation. The pickup bed is pine painted black, which is how it would have come originally from the factory. Restored in the proper 1955 color of Transport Blue with a black interior, this particular truck also has had a “correct” 12-volt conversion, meaning it has a 12-volt generator and no alternator.
Following accessories include:
- Wheel trim rings
- Right-hand tail light
- Cigar Lighter (not connected)
- Arm rests
- Exterior rearview mirrors
- Chrome rear bumper
- “Nu-Vue” corner windows
- Passenger side sun visor
- Chrome window moldings
- Recirculating heater
Restored by a Porsche dealer from Philadelphia in the early 2000’s, it was then sold at the 2006 Hilton Head Concours d’ Elegance auction to a collector from John’s Island in South Carolina. The current owner purchased the truck from that collector in 2012. It has won many trophies at local car shows and has been used seasonally in annual parades. The windshield wipers are the old vacuum style and have never worked. The heater although there, has a shut-off valve at the radiator and has never been opened since it has only been used during summer months and stored in a climate controlled facility the remainder of the year. Other then those two items everything else works as it should. Fastidiously maintained this is an extraordinary “needs nothing” example that can be reliably enjoyed the day it is purchased. In an increasing world of Resto-mods it’s become increasingly difficult to find original 1955 Advance Design examples.
Work done under the current ownership includes:
- 2012 – Installed new Group 48 battery (always on tender when not in use)
- 2013 – Made interior of cab correct (knobs, decals, etc.)
- 2013 – Painted wheels and installed 5 new 235/75R15, 3 1/8” whitewall American Classic radial tires from Coker
- 2015 – Replaced the front and rear brake cylinders and flex hoses, turned the rear brake drums, replaced the rear brake shoes and cleaned and repacked the front wheel bearings
- 2016 – Replaced the radiator and adjusted the valves
- 2017 – Installed new front motor mounts
- 2018 – Installed new water pump
- Multiple oil changes and tune-ups, the last of which was in March or 2019.
This truck is being sold with a clear New Hampshire title and can be seen or inspected at Historic Motor Sports in Candia NH.